Thursday, May 8, 2008

Lauren's GSL Field Trip

The 4th Graders went on another field trip on Tuesday. We went to the Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island. Again, I didn't have to ride the bus with the kids because of space, but the trip was short since it only takes 5 minutes to get there. The guides taught us about banded gneiss (striped rocks only found in this area), and pickle weed (it only grows in very salty areas). We ate a little of the pickle weed which only tasted salty, but it's really small right now. I don't know if it tastes more like pickles when it matures. They told us to wear sunblock and bug spray (I hate both) so I gave in and wore sunblock since I got fried on Jane's blessing day. I didn't want the bug spray. We stopped before the causeway to do the rock/weed discussion and there weren't any bugs....yea!!! When we got out to the island....agggghhhhh! Swarms of little black bugs. We kept swatting them away and I gave in and put the OFF on. As we made our way down to the beach, everyone started scratching their heads. The rotten things were biting our scalps. The kids explored and played in the lake and then we went up to buffalo point to eat lunch. Of course the kids couldn't resist the hiking trail that went up to a higher peak. I reluctantly went up after Lauren and her friend to make sure they were ok. There were some pretty steep parts, especially when most of the kids had flip flops on. We had a hard time making it back down, but a couple of the girls in Lauren's class came back to help out. They were so sweet guiding us down the steep gravely hill. When I got home I started to realize that my head had little red marks on it. They are like little mosquito bites all through my hair. Makes me a little crazy sometimes. I've never had that happen when I was out at the lake. We saw a lizard, antelope, dead birds, brine shrimp, and lots of buffalo chips. The kids had a good time since they got to experience science instead of just studying it. I thought it was fun too....I could have done without the bugs though.



I love this picture. It reminds me of that Beetles album when they were on the crosswalk.



Best friends!

No comments: