
I know you always here bad stories about teenagers and their attitudes, but I wanted to share a good story. I mentioned this back in December....the night we had our ward Christmas party, Lauren had been drawing Donald Duck like usual. She is always so critical of her own drawings, and was really down on herself that night. Brook and I were trying to build her up because she really is great at drawing. We tried to tell her that even though we were her parents, and they usually say that you're good at everything, we really thought she was a great artist. She wouldn't listen to us. We ended up going to the party and Lauren wasn't too thrilled about it so she ended up in the Primary room to draw on the chalk board. There were some teenagers from our ward in the room playing the piano with a friend. Lauren had drawn Donald Duck on the chalk board. I think the friend made a comment about how good it was and they asked her how old she was. She told them and they made a big deal out of it and started snapping pictures with their cell phones. It MADE her day!!! She told me about it afterward and said something like, "I came here thinking I was the worst Disney artist, and now I feel like a great Disney artist.
How cool is that! There are some great teenagers out there that are doing great things. I was so grateful that they took the time to make a compliment and make someone younger than them feel amazing. When she told me about it she said, "They were teenagers!" Sometimes you don't know the impact for good that you can have on someone's life. Something so simple to them, made a huge difference to her.
4 comments:
What a great story. I used to be that way. I hated everything I drew. Everyone was always asking me to draw for them & I did but I hated it. I even did a few folks homework for them it there was art involved. I came across some old stuff not too long ago & it is terrible compared to now but I realize how much it helped me today. So tell her to keep it up & that I would love to see some of it sometime. That way I can say that I saw some of her work way back when. GOTTA LOVE ART!!!!
Aw, what a nice story! I hope Lauren will always remember that and she'll have the confidence to keep at it.
I changed the post for you guys. Now you can see the pics. Enjoy!!!
That is so great!!! I was telling her that last week I watch her draw and OH MY GOSH she is soooo good. She really has great talent. I never would of guessed that she thought she couldnt draw because they are so good. I love them.
She also wins the yearbook class every year too at least the years I have a yearbook she has I think its great.
Post a Comment